Thursday, May 16, 2019

Going to Hell



Has anyone ever said this or something similar to you:  “You are going to Hell.”  Perhaps it’s because of some ongoing behavior, such as having an extramarital affair, living with a boyfriend or girlfriend outside of marriage, leaving the Catholic Church and practicing a different religion, missing Mass on Sundays and/or Holy Days of Obligation.  Or perhaps it’s because of having sex with a person of the same gender, or favoring abortion and supporting candidates for public office that favor abortion.  Or ... perhaps we have judged someone for doing these things.  Yes, that is sinful too!

Whatever our situation, here is what Jesus had to say about people who commit serious sins:  “If anyone hears my words and does not observe them, I do not condemn him, for I did not come into the world to condemn the world but to save the world.”  (John 12:47).  So we are not condemned, are not going to Hell!  What a relief, right?  If this is our thought process, then we need to continue reading John, Chapter 12:  “Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words has something to judge him:  the word that I spoke, it will condemn him on the last day, because I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and speak.”  (John 12:48-49). 

So what this says to me is that we will not be judged now, no, not now, but rather on the last day.  By the Father.  So we have time on our side.  This is where the mercy of God’s comes into play.  We must stop doing what we are doing and repent of our sins.  Seek God’s mercy and forgiveness!  Confess our sins and begin anew.  No, we are not going to hell now, right this minute, but we may very well go to hell on our last day.  It's up to God, of course.  I pray that we make things right before then.  And, remember that our last day may very well be today.  So the call is urgent.  This is my understanding of the teaching of the Catholic Church.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment