Thursday, May 30, 2019

Caution!


If there is one word that describes conservatism, I think it may be “caution.”  Caution about whether a new idea for change is “dangerous” or whether it is simply “progressive.”  Caution about whether a new idea for change is “moral” or whether it may be “immoral.”  Caution about whether a new idea for change is “based on truth” or whether it is “based on misinformation,” or worse, “based on lies.”  Caution about whether a new idea for change is driven by faith in God, or whether it has its origin in non-faith sources or even atheism.  

A cautious person would want to study an issue, including studying what a trusted authority may have to say about it, before rendering a personal decision on its merits.  I think that is why a conservative person is very often a person of faith while a liberal person is very often an atheist, even if he/she doesn’t like to admit it.  I consider myself a person of faith and I consider my authority on many issues to be the Catholic Church. 

Some people will tune out when they read that, immediately discounting my views on issues of the day, such as abortion, contraception, gay marriage, gender identity, and others.  They may say that the Catholic Church is out of touch with modern life.  They may say that the Catholic Church, which is itself mired in the sins of sexual misconduct and other scandals, cannot be trusted to issue judgements on morality or whether something is based on truth, citing Galileo, etc.  Speaking of caution ... I believe such thoughts are dangerous.

Some people will use science as their trusted authority on the issues.  But conclusions based on science are often revised based on newer research, and then revised again, and again.  Yes, paying attention to the conclusions of science is important, but I don’t think it can be the ultimate authority.  So I am cautious.

But if I have no authority to guide me, I very often cannot trust myself to form a correct opinion even if I am fully informed on the merits of an issue as espoused by liberals.  The Catholic Church, on the other hand, has a very long history of guiding humanity toward what is right.  This a beautiful tribute to our Creator God, who I believe is in charge and has given us a map of life to follow in the teachings of Jesus Christ.  Tune out if you want, but I believe it would be a mistake.  Rather, take the Catechism of the Catholic Church to be your guide.  It may not directly address every issue that may come up, but it is a trusted authority, a map of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment