Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Words of Lent


The season of Lent began yesterday.  So today I’m having my “preparation for Easter” thoughts.  Words like repentance, confession, forgiveness, absolution, contrition and penance come to mind.  These are important words because they lead to a clean heart and a clean soul with which to celebrate the Resurrection of Our Lord and receive the Eucharist at the Easter Mass. 

In the Catholic Church, we have a prayer that sums it up.  It is called the Act of Contrition.  I’m writing it down below in a way that I hope will indicate the awesomeness of each little phrase.  Catholics will recognize it as the prayer that a penitent sinner recites as our final statement after confessing his/her sins to a priest in the confessional.

Oh, My God … I am heartily sorry for having offended thee ... and I detest all my sins … because I dread the loss of heaven … and the pain of hell, ...  but most of all because they offend thee, my God … who are all good … and deserving of all my love.  I firmly resolve, with of help of thy grace … to confess my sins … do penance … and amend my life.  Amen.

Tears often come to my eyes while reciting this prayer in a slow, deliberate manner in the confessional each time I receive the sacrament.  How awesome and comforting it is to know that we have a compassionate, merciful, and loving God standing at the ready to forgive even our most serious of sins. 

I wish all my readers the holiest and most blessed Lent ever.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment