Thursday, March 28, 2019

The Conversation With God



Have you ever felt abandoned by the people you love?  Think back to a time when you had a dire need for love and understanding.  Perhaps it was a time when a friend became angry and belittled you because of something you did.  Or maybe it was a time when a family member falsely accused you of some serious transgression and yelled and screamed at you.  Or maybe it was a serious argument over some political issue that could not be immediately resolved.  Or perhaps you really did do something seriously wrong and it weighed heavily on your psyche.  Yes, you felt abandoned and alone.  What do you do?

One solution would be to seek consolation with a family member who always seems to understand, or a friend who had a knack for comforting you – someone you could trust.  Perhaps it was a counselor, or a therapist.  But what if this person was not immediately available and you needed help NOW?

Well, I’ve been in this position many times in my life.  I’m a sensitive guy who can get to feeling unloved seemingly at the drop of a hat.  My solution?  Rush to a place where I can have a conversation with God.  I’ve been known to run to the nearest Catholic church or chapel where I can kneel before the Blessed Sacrament and lay it all out there for God to see and have Him say to me “don’t worry, I love you and will never abandon you.”

Recently I was reminded of this when I heard this passage from Scripture that sounded like God was speaking to me:  “I will be your God and you will be my people.”  I googled this quote this morning and discovered that there are forty-three different Scripture passages that express some form of this sentiment, both in the Old Testament and the New. 

Think about this and what a comfort in can be.  The Supreme Being who created all things, who keeps this universe humming, who performs His miracles every second of every day on your behalf – He is there for you, because you are among his people and He is your God.  What a simple, but hope-filled expression of His love.  It gives me hope in these times of trial.  May God bless you and may He keep you in the palm of his hand through all eternity.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment