Thursday, February 7, 2019

Resounding Gongs and Clashing Cymbals



“Love your neighbor as yourself.”  These are the words of Jesus Christ.  (Mark 12:31).  It seems to me that today, many people, though they are quite familiar with this commandment of Our Lord, they act as though they have never heard it.  I have seen posts on Facebook and Twitter that demonize one’s neighbors for not having the same belief system that they do.  Both sides of a debate “share” posts of others that are rude and full of hate for the other side.  A person that does this, it seems to me, is what St. Paul has referred to as “a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal” because they do not have love.  (1 Cor 13: 1).  They “speak in human and angelic tongues, but do not have love.”

A passage from Saint Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians is often read at weddings because it tells us what love is, and presumably tells a newly wedded couple that love for each other is what is important in order to make a marriage work.  But isn’t it really a lesson for all of us?  St. Paul does not say that is specifically for a newly married couple!  He goes on to say the following.

“And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing.  If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing. 

Love is patient, love is kind.  It is not jealous, is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails.”

I invite all my readers to read this passage again slowly and carefully.  And the next time you see a post on Facebook or Twitter that espouses what you believe and you decide that you want to share it, please be patient and have a second look at it.  Is it cruel (opposite of kind)?  Is it pompous?  Is it inflated?  Is it rude?  Does it rejoice over wrongdoing.  If it is (or does) any of these things, please have a second thought about posting it or sharing it, no matter what side of the issue you are on.  If you do this, I believe you will have love in your heart, not hate, and you will not be a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal.  And I think you will discover this love you have discerned exudes faith, patience, kindness, and hope … all wonderful and amazing virtues for us to practice among our friends.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment