Thursday, July 5, 2018

It Brings Tears to my Eyes



On Tuesday of this week, the Catholic Church celebrated the feast of St. Thomas, the apostle who privately doubted the resurrection of Christ.  The gospel story at Holy Mass on this day relates the story of his doubt and the dialogue that took place when Thomas and the resurrected Christ encountered each other face to face.  Jesus asked Thomas to come forward and examine the nail marks with his fingers and to put his hand into his side where the Roman soldier thrust his lance at the crucifixion.  With his doubt instantly gone, Thomas responded with the famous words “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28).

I love to meditate on this touching scene.  I can imagine Thomas’ doubt being instantly erased, his eyes now bulging with awe, and his jaw dropping to the floor.  He scarcely can speak and his voice quivered as he delivered this statement of faith.  I can see him with tears in his eyes, feeling faint, dropping to one knee and kissing Jesus’ hands where the nails were just a few days earlier.

But the best part was yet to come … Jesus’ response to this declaration of faith.  Jesus said: “Have you come to believe because you have seen me?  Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.  (John 20:29).  Now Jesus is talking about US … you and me!  We have not seen the resurrected Jesus in the flesh.  We have not seen the nail marks in his hands and feet.  We have not seen the huge gash in his side.  Yet, we truly believe that he rose from the dead and was standing before Thomas, speaking to him and the other apostles face to face at that moment.  My meditation causes my eyes to bulge, my jaw to drop, my voice to quiver and my whole body to feel faint.  With tears welling up in my eyes, I just want to drop to my knees and say: “Thank you, Lord, for thinking about me at that moment and telling me that I am blessed.”  SO awesome!

It reminds me of one of my favorite gospel hymns, “How Great Thou Art” and especially the last verse, which also brings tears to my eyes:

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And there proclaim: “My God, how great Thou art!”

My Lord and my God …. How great thou art!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment