Thursday, April 12, 2018

"Ordinary" Language



I have sometimes been confused about the use of the word “ordinary” in Catholic Church language, so I thought I would undertake a study of it for today’s MTT. 

I went to the Webster’s dictionary first.  I was fully expecting to find adjective-type synonyms, such as “customary” or “normal” or “commonplace.”  To my surprise, I found a full set of definitions that were nouns as well as a full set of definitions that were adjectives.  The nouns were given first, and, the #1 noun definition, again, to my surprise, is:  “An official having jurisdiction within a specified area by right of the office he or she holds, especially a bishop having such jurisdiction within his own diocese.”  Okay, so a Catholic bishop is called an “ordinary,” even in the secular world!  Then, the #4 noun definition is:  “(a) the form to be followed in a service; (b) the parts of the Mass that are fixed or relatively unvarying.”  Okay, so the unchanging prayers in the Mass, such as unchanging from day to day, week to week, etc., are called the “ordinary” of the Mass, even in the secular world!  For some reason, I thought that these were definitions used within the Catholic Church and not to be found in a secular dictionary!  Silly me!

Next, I went to my “Pocket Catholic Dictionary” and found that not only the bishops, but also the Pope (though I knew one of his titles is the “Bishop of Rome”), the vicars (substitutes, or deputies) of the Pope or bishops, administrators filling a vacancy in a diocese, as well as superiors and abbots in monasteries, or their representatives, are also called ordinaries.  This also fits the Webster’s definition.

What about such terms as “Ordinary Time” and “Extraordinary Minister,” both common terms in the Catholic Church.  I’ve always known that there was a season, or seasons, in the Church calendar that was (were) called Ordinary Time, but why?  Did the Webster’s adjective synonyms of “customary” or “normal” or “commonplace” apply here?  I found the answer in the book The Everything Guide to Catholiism by Fr. Richard Gribble.  It is the longest “season” of the liturgical year, which extends for a few weeks between the end of the Christmas season and the beginning of Lent, and for a much longer period from Pentecost to Advent.  Since this period of the Church year is not one of any special preparation, the name “Ordinary” applies. 

And Extraordinary Minister?  I found this definition in the Catholic Dictionary:  A person who, in case of necessity, is permitted or specially delegated to administer one of the sacraments (Baptism, Confirmation, or the Eucharist).  The one most familiar to Catholics is the Eucharistic minister, a layperson who has been specially delegated to, out of necessity, help distribute Holy Communion at Mass or to the sick in a hospital or place of residence.  The word “extraordinary” is used in the title of such a person.  I note that “Eucharistic minister,” while descriptive, is not this person’s actual title.

So there you have it!  A surprise or two here for me, but perhaps not for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment