Thursday, March 1, 2018

A Mother's Faith and Love


There probably isn’t a mother alive who doesn’t want the best for her sons and daughters.  That is why the story from the Gospel passage read at Wednesday’s Holy Mass (Matt 20:17-28) isn’t so surprising.  The mother of the sons of Zebedee, whose name was Salome, wanted the best for her two sons, John and James.  John and James were two of Jesus’s apostles and so were in his inner circle, so to speak.  In fact, it seems that they were especially close to Jesus because they, along with Peter, seemed to closely share in special events while the other apostles were at a distance.  Examples include the Transfiguration story where James, John, and Peter were invited to be alone with Jesus on the mountain where he was transfigured (Matt 17:1-8 ).  These three were also invited by Jesus to share in the Agony in the Garden event in the garden of Gethsemane after the last supper, though he was “a stone’s throw” apart from them (Matt 26:36-46).  
Salome must have recognized this intimacy, since in Wednesday gospel reading she requests that Jesus allow it to continue.  She asks Jesus to “command that these two sons of mine sit, one at your right and the other at your left, in your kingdom.”  It would be as though Jesus would be the king and her two sons would be the king’s personal assistants.  What job title would be more special or carry more prestige?  Jesus’ response was that this role of special assistant would be given to whomever God the Father chooses, saying that it “is not mine to give.”  Salome must have been disappointed, but what mother would not be disappointed to learn that her wishes for her sons or daughters would not be followed. 
I remember my mother wanted me to attend a Catholic college or university.  She wanted nothing more than to have the Catholic faith she so ardently treasured passed on to her son and it would not be threatened for him by his being exposed to secular ideas that would be encountered at a public institution.  And she was, I’m sure, disappointed when I declared that I would attend a public state institution after all.  And she was right.  Though this public institution did have an active Catholic Newman Center, I chose not to participate in their activities.  But, in the end, I adhered to my Catholic faith through all the trials that would come my way and I knew, for example, in the back of my mind, that I would not allow myself to stray in any way from this faith that I valued above everything else in my life.  My faith was strong, and my mother was very proud that her prayers on my behalf in this regard were answered. 
Yes, both Salome and my mother were proud of their sons.  John and James are great, great saints.  I am not at that point yet, of course, but I am striving to also be a saint.  I don’t have to be a saint declared as such by the Church … just a man known for his adherence to his faith and for this continuous and personal striving to be free from sin at death.  I want to gaze on the face of God for all eternity.  How unspeakably wonderful that would be.  Thanks to my Mom for passing on her precious faith to me, and thanks to God for this amazing gift.  I am forever grateful.  Amen.
The photo accompanying this post shows a painting of St.John and the Blessed Mother at the foot of the cross at Calvary.

No comments:

Post a Comment